The mission of We Are Not Invisible is to respond to the needs of our chronically homeless, bridge the communication gap between the fortunate and less fortunate community, and address local homelessness issues. Part of our mission is to end hunger and fight to end homelessness and help prevent it.
We Are Not Invisible is a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization that helps provide for the needs of those who are homeless in Fresno, including advocacy, provision of food and water, living supplies, transportation, and other needs, and helps as a bridge between the homeless and the greater community through outreach partnerships as well as multimedia communications to the community.
WANI has been working in the community since 2014 In this time, WANI has
- Opened a “safe camp” to provide a safe, clean environment to live until shelter and/or housing becomes available.
- Assisted homeless individuals with obtaining housing vouchers and provided temporary housing or other services that made it possible for them to secure housing.
- Assisted those who are unsheltered in getting shelter beds and transportation.
- Partnered with local businesses, organizations, and volunteers to do food outreach and do potlucks for the homeless community.
- Partnered with those in the community to provide seasonal needs, such as water and warm living essentials.
- Created video media and a thriving social media presence to share the stories of the homeless community and educate the larger community on the realities of the homeless community in Fresno.
- Hosted vigils and services for the street family members we have lost.
- Advocated publicly in partnership with other human rights advocates and with the homeless community themselves.
- Served as an intermediary between homeless individuals and homeless organizations and other agencies.
- Assisted well-established homeless organizations in locating and reestablishing contact with homeless individuals utilizing their services.
WANI serves the street families through:
- Providing safe spaces.
- Spending time with our street family continually, and being community together
- Listening and sharing their stories on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, and other social media.
- Partnering with other homeless advocacy groups to seek justice for our street family.
- Facilitating health food donations and delicious, healthy home cooked meals and snacks to our street families.
- Providing warm items during cold months through Project Share The Warmth.
- Partnering with local businesses and groups to do monthly potlucks with our street families
- Providing water through Project H20
- Providing hygiene kits with toothbrushes, toothpaste, body soap, dry shampoo, deodorant, and feminine supplies through Project Dignity
- Facilitating and distributing living essentials, such as clothing, bedding, hygiene products, and more, and conducting drives to collect needed supplies.
- Providing other services, such as transportation, to help our street family members survive and escape homelessness
- Providing information on local resources that provide laundry washing, showers, counseling classes for mental illness in Fresno County, and other needs.
- Developing and investing in relationships and community.
We Are Not Invisible provides our homeless community and those at risk of becoming homeless with:
We Are Not Invisible also serves as a bridge of communication, understanding, and partnership between the street families and the larger community.